Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seized Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seized Distributor
    Posted: 01-October-2012 at 3:45PM
My 400 has had a seized distributor for a while no. It pings badly even with premium. Last time I checked it was something like 22 BTDC base and 46 total timing, so no wonder it's so bad.

Anyone have any tricks at freeing up the distributor? I have soaked it over the winter with penetrating oil, I have tried strap wrenchs, heat from a propane torch and it's solid as a rock.

Is it possible to get this thing out without breaking it?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2012 at 5:34PM
The motor runs I take it. The O ring  is going to stop the lubes. Get the motor warmed up and use a good foaming action pen lube. 
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
dvldog2513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2012 at 12:08AM
I used sea foam deep creep penetrating oil and a big hammer .I broke the distributor but it came out  
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2012 at 1:04AM
Yes the motor runs. I may wait until I put it away for winter then, since it sounds like the only way to get it out is to break it.

Dvldog2513 when you broke yours, how did you get the bottom half out?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Mark S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2012 at 1:36AM
Penetrating oil, strap wrench, BIG hammer. I had one seized on a 351W and generally battered it into submission with lateral hammer strikes on the distributor (I think I was whacking it at the vacuum advance) and whacking on the strap wrench too. Just keep all the force lateral. It won't break in half top to bottom, but bits will definitely fly off. LOL
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2012 at 5:24AM
with a good penetrant like the Sea Foam or PB Blaster pooled around the dizzy base, hammer taps will set up vibration that will let the oil work in, but the dizzy will break top to bottom if you get rough enough, then you end up dropping the oil pan and beating the stump out the top from the bottom

i've heard of wrapping the dizzy with a chain and pulling up on it with a hoist and still having a hard time

72 GT Ute

dvldog2513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvldog2513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2012 at 6:25AM
When I did mine I soaked it down for a week then I worked with a hammer and punch until it moved.It came out in one peice but I broke part of the upper housing.
Bennie
1972 GTS Q Code
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2012 at 5:47PM
If you have points you could check and adjust the dwell to temporarily get the timing closer to where it belongs.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2012 at 3:16PM
I want to avoid having to remove the pan all together. I am just trying to keep the car running decently until I have the funds to build the engine. That said, the engine runs top notch other than the pinging.

How do you adjust the dwell to bring the timing closer?
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2012 at 4:41PM
ignition point dwell affects timing, i forget which way though

if you were to loosen or tighten the point gap the timing will change...

but so will the dwell, so you can't get too crazy with it

72 GT Ute

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2012 at 5:15PM
The later the points open, the later the spark comes and retards the timing. The earlier the points open the sooner the spark comes and advances the timing. I would think it was set at one time and the points wore or burnt somewhat changing your dwell and thus timing.
Should not take much adjustment and don't do a major change.

Edited by Robbdtme - 03-October-2012 at 5:19PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2012 at 1:12AM
distributor degrees are 1/2 of crank degrees, so a 4* change at the dizzy makes 8* at the crank

so a smaller gap will cause the rubbing block to actuate the points later in reference to crank position... ? 
72 GT Ute

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2012 at 5:27AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

distributor degrees are 1/2 of crank degrees, so a 4* change at the dizzy makes 8* at the crank

so a smaller gap will cause the rubbing block to actuate the points later in reference to crank position... ? 

Yep.
If you have some feeler gauges check the gap then narrow it slightly not much then check the timing again. Sure you know have it warmed up at about 600 rpm and have the vacuum advance line pulled off the dizzy when checking.

I had a 400 in a 73 Ranchero and they did have higher compression back then than the other engines so better fuel is a must,Mine would like to diesel a bit on shut down with cheap gas. If you would like take a windex type spray bottle with some water in it then after the engine is warm rev it some and spray a little  water down the carb, It will clean out carbon build up. You will be surprised at the crap that will blow through the exhaust.

Edited by Robbdtme - 04-October-2012 at 5:30AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2012 at 6:42AM
i was gonna suggest using point gap/dwell to try to reign in the wild timing but i didn't dig deep enough. i didn't notice that the OP's car is a 72, didn't expect it would still be running points regardless of model year, and forgot that dizzy* = crank* x 2

i think you're right Robbdtme, at some point the timing got set with worn points, the dizzy froze up, then later someone put in new points set to spec...
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2012 at 3:09PM
Thanks guys, I will play around with it a bit see if I can improve the timing a bit. Maybe that will be enough to get me by until I tear down the engine.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2012 at 7:07AM
72 GT Ute

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2012 at 11:10AM
That makes really good sense. The alum will contract faster than the block. That canned duster spray stuff they have if you hold the can upside down really gets cold.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2012 at 2:49PM
i'd do the gi-normous channel locks at the same time as the freeze LOL
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2014 at 5:25AM
Vince I guess you got the dizzy out one way or another?

you've had 2 years!! hahaha

I just ran across this thread looking for 400 / Torino / Sanderson info connected to this oldy

what did you do for headers? I'm sure you posted but I'm runnin slow atm
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2014 at 3:09PM
Hey Rockatansky,

yeah I got the dizzy out.  I pulled the hood and was able to rig up a slid hammer with a puller.  Gripped the housing tight and about 5 hits and it broke free.   Got a new dizzy with a Pertonix and did the timing chain at the same time. 

That was my old thread, I have re-read it like 100 times.  So much AWESOME info on that site.  Unfortunately family priorities haven't allowed me to rebuild the engine like I hoped I would be able to.  I am still trying to save back up, hoping in the next year or two I can get it done.  Until then, I have lots of time to figure out how I am going to build it.  But at least now basically stock it's still a strong runner and I still get to dive it.  I am hoping the Sanderson headers will work.  And I am thinking I will probably do an intake and 4bbl next driving season since I can use them on the new engine.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2014 at 11:59AM
hey 2 years on this side & I don't think anything's gonna get done

time to pack it back up again maybe next year...

I sound like a Cubs fan now
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply