The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simple fender question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple fender question
    Posted: 10-October-2011 at 4:14PM
A simple question, I hope...

Will front fenders of a 74 fit a 72?

Thanks
72 GranTorino "rat wagon" 351C, a work in progress

69 Mustang Mach 1, 351w, Borg Warner T5, rack & pinion steering, fuel injected
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 4:23PM
Nope 72 has fenders that are one year only the frame rails in front are also different then 73-76.only 73-76 use the same fenders
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 4:28PM
In the context of bolting on to a '72 shell, should bolt up, but the radiator core support will need to be changed.
Bumper horns on the frame won't be correct.
If you were doing a circle track car, etc, would not be a big deal, but you would not be well off on the street with out a little metal fab of some sort to mount the bumper up.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 5:01PM
Well if he is only trying to use just the 74 fenders to replace rotted ones and use the 72 header and headlight buckets it will not work.If you want to bolt on an entire front clip ot sorta will work but as I saod front framerails are different and 74 bumper will not bolt onto 72 frame.Andy I believe he wants to know if he can replace his 72 fenfers only with good ones from a 74 &the answer is No
Gazoo2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazoo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 6:19PM
Yes, I have found some nice 74 fenders and was hoping to use them in place of the rusty fenders on my 72 wagon.   But apparently they're not the same, which is unfortunate.  Thanks for the info guys. 

But I did get a full set of really nice doors from a 74 sedan which should fit the 72 wagon.  So it was a good weekend anyway...
72 GranTorino "rat wagon" 351C, a work in progress

69 Mustang Mach 1, 351w, Borg Warner T5, rack & pinion steering, fuel injected
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2011 at 9:00AM
If the front or "nose" of the '72 fenders isn't rusty I think you could graft it on to the '74 fenders. That way everything from the '72 front end would fit. It would take some careful measuring and welding to make it work but would still take less time than rust repair and make a better finished product IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply