The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Special Coil Spring compressor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Coil Spring compressor?
    Posted: 25-May-2023 at 5:01AM
Hi forum. I am in the proces of changing all the front suspension on my 70 Cyclone. I have hit a wall with regard to re-installing the front coil springs…what is the secret?
I am using an ‘internal’ spring compressor, but cant compress it enough to get spring in. I have even cut the threaded rod 2 inches.
I know there is a ‘special Ford coil spring compressor’…anyone got one they dont need anymore?🤠 Lemme’ know.
Thanks. Pic below.

schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2023 at 2:25AM
I have been gathering parts for a rebuild but have not yet attempted the job.  In researching the compressors, a MOOG T469 seems the best choice, but they are no longer made and difficult to find used. 

OTC makes one (7045B) that you can still buy new (though pricey for 1 time use).  

Link below is to a thread discussing a similar issue:

PS...Nice Cyclone you are restoring.  Keep us posted on progress as I hope to tackle mine one of these days

Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2023 at 8:15AM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

Hi forum. I am in the proces of changing all the front suspension on my 70 Cyclone. I have hit a wall with regard to re-installing the front coil springs…what is the secret?
I have even cut the threaded rod 2 inches.

Cutting the rod isn’t gonna do anything to help
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2023 at 9:51AM
The factory springs are typically longer than many popular replacement versions. The longer the spring is, the harder it is to get it compressed enough. The new springs I put it my 73 were fairly easy to do, they are much thicker coils and I cut enough off to make the height fairly close to ideal.

So if you are changing the spring rate at all, do the math first and you might be able to cut the new spring shorter a some to help.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply