The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension recommendation 1972 Torino Sport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstn_bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension recommendation 1972 Torino Sport
    Posted: 24-September-2022 at 10:07AM
Hello everyone, I have a 1972 Torino sport 429 and I’m in the market for new front end suspension and was carious if anyone had any recommendations.
Thank you.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2022 at 1:05PM
Can't remember the exact formula as it's been like 7 years since I put my setup together...

something like,

replace worn parts (steering links, ball joints)
cut crown vic springs (to adjust ride height to taste)
poly bushings on the control arms
rubber bushing on the radius rods
Bilstein shocks (crown vic fitment maybe???)
max out the caster
camber and toe to factory spec

there is some steering gearbox stuff you can do, search around the forum for that

obviously good tires all around

-Billy Conturo
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2022 at 12:36AM
I went with CVPI springs up front and station wagon springs in the rear. Replaced ALL front end parts with NAPA direct replacements. A good alignment and balanced tires.KYB Xel-G shocks all around. Ultimately, style of driving and road conditions will be major factors in determining springs and shocks. 
Steve M.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2022 at 3:21AM
What are you looking for out of your suspension? Give us some ideas of your goals and we can help you out more.

If you are trying to improve handling to good street performance handling and are okay with a firm ride, the following works well.  Start with Crown Victoria Police Interceptor cars springs, Moog 80090 in the front, a rear spring with about 160 in/lbs, a decent set of shocks (Bilstein or KYB), new bushings, and Addco front and rear sway bars.  This will make a big improvement in handling, especially if your car has base level (read super soft bad handling) suspension.  Next the steering box needs to be upgraded.  I receommend swapping to a Saginaw steering box from a 1971 Mustang, and have it built with 12.7:1 gears and high road feel for quick steering with maximum road feel.  The Moog 80090 are hard to find, but you can get the Husky equivalent from RockAuto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1022134&cc=1304020&pt=7512&jsn=922&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS03cFS568snzuV%2FzqSJVZh3498vLYWSuEjp92aoBolonklrH7ZywcuTRSvIrp3%2B53bbu7IGdpLdIQcm7rUDXxzwliolwS2wA1j%2BmQV9SggViqIGlNykM7%2FfBppMp2BzlWHXB3Pju1Q6KWoVD%2FtVgvD8n%2Fgqe%2BaPQP1MczhsHcPyrORGSG9%2B7lUEKjWpYxFViRCFzGp5Q57PCOZZxiy6h9xhO%2FJLdZn6yyakT4cezQFkw7smK6Q1lletLoMqob%2BNsu17u3n1EAKWtLRfuNeZKqqzDZEgso03zXuUj4NVxB4w3%2FIswWKwTbzdpOqCVSoBYkw%3D%3D&jsn=922&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS03cFS568snzuV%2FzqSJVZh3498vLYWSuEjp92aoBolonklrH7ZywcuTRSvIrp3%2B53bbu7IGdpLdIQcm7rUDXxzwliolwS2wA1j%2BmQV9SggViqIGlNykM7%2FfBppMp2BzlWHXB3Pju1Q6KWoVD%2FtVgvD8n%2Fgqe%2BaPQP1MczhsHcPyrORGSG9%2B7lUEKjWpYxFViRCFzGp5Q57PCOZZxiy6h9xhO%2FJLdZn6yyakT4cezQFkw7smK6Q1lletLoMqob%2BNsu17u3n1EAKWtLRfuNeZKqqzDZEgso03zXuUj4NVxB4w3%2FIswWKwTbzdpOqCVSoBYkw%3D%3D

Instead of strut rod bushings, I highly recommend these strut rod bearings. They are expensive but add a lot of precision to the front end:

Like Billy says, add as much caster as possible, somewhere around 5 degrees is ideal.  These control arms will help add more positive caster.  

If you are looking for more of a cruiser, you'd probably want to go a bit softer on the front end springs than the CVPI springs mentioned about.  Although you have a Big Block, so you need a pretty heavy spring in the front end.  I wouldn't go less than 400 in/lbs.  We have a ton of info in the Technical Articles section of the forum.  Here are some starters:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply