The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T56 Transmission Part Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikeapn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T56 Transmission Part Numbers
    Posted: 17-August-2019 at 1:42PM
Guys, just on a whim, Does anybody have experience with t56 tranny's?

I'm picking up a t56 from a mustang (TUET-1694, 10 spline input, 27 spline output) for my montego gt project. It has a broken mainshaft (output shaft).  I am unable to find the part number for this shaft.  I also can't find any parts manuals that have part numbers in them.

My question is: Is the standard "T56-2" GM 27 spline mainshaft the same thing as the Ford t56 shaft?
- Andrew
'72 Mercury Montego GT - 351W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2019 at 3:37PM
i'd ask here,

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fordtransmissionforum/ford-transmission-forum-f260730/

and i'd also pass on a trans that took enough abuse to finally succumb to a broken output shaft Ermm

there are enough of them out there that you don't have to settle for That one
72 GT Ute

pikeapn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikeapn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 4:40AM
Yeah, I thought of that too but for the $300 price tag, I'll just rebuild it. Even if I got a good used tranny, it'd still be a good idea to go through it an make sure it's all good anyways. I can't justify the $3500 price tag for a new one.
- Andrew
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 6:11AM
there's a used one somewhere in between that hasn't been shattered. there are gears in there that have taken a beating when that shaft broke,

they're waiting for the next blast to identify themselves.

your $, JMHO

i'd gladly pay more up front for a known good unit, install it and see if it even needs going through?
72 GT Ute

pikeapn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikeapn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 11:16AM
Yeah I see what you mean, I'll rip it open and see how it looks. If not, I'll just use the parts for another one. Thanks!
- Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply