The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips needed for Lighter removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69fasbak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips needed for Lighter removal
    Posted: 18-November-2015 at 10:09AM
I have a '77 LTD II. The inside of the cigarette lighter is completely rusted. Can anyone advise me the best way to remove it? Will I have to remove the radio?

Thanks,
   Randy
1989 Mustang 5.0 Convertible
1977 Ford LTD II
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2015 at 11:52PM
Guys, aren't they just pushed in and held in place by two pressure tabs?
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2015 at 1:50AM
If you are talking about the housing that is attached to the dash(which I am hoping for-if you can't remove the lighter itself, you may have bigger issues LOL), it is easier to remove with the radio out but not impossible with it installed. The lighter housing is a two-piece design and the outer piece resides on the inner side of the dash whereas the outer piece is where you push-in the heater element resides on the passenger side of the lower dash panel(I realize you probably already know this). They basically thread together due to threads being formed in both halves. You will need to reach behind the lower dash panel and remove the center (+) terminal(place tape over the loose connector-it has battery power at all times) and the female spade (-) terminal from the outer halve of the lighter housing. You now have to grasp the outer halve(behind the lower dash panel) with your hand or pliers(BE careful, they are easily fubar'd) the inner part of the lighter housing (on the passenger side of the lower dash panel) may be able to be unscrewed with just a finger placed in the socket while turning the inner halve, if not you may have to grasp the socket's trim ring with a pair of pliers while turning the inner halve. This process WILL yield back pain, sore and scratched arms/hands as well as a various assortment and/or combinations of curse words(it will make you feel better). Hope this helps.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
69fasbak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69fasbak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2015 at 4:17AM
aquartlow thanks for your help I will attempt to remove it this weekend.
1989 Mustang 5.0 Convertible
1977 Ford LTD II
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2015 at 5:00AM
You are more than welcome, those instructions are from my "foggy" memory, it has been a while since my last lighter removal. I will double check my other dashes to be absolutely sure my instructions are correct.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply