The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tool box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool box
    Posted: 07-July-2014 at 3:15PM
So I'm in the market for a big box, read at least 40" long.
I have used Matco, Snap on and other brand names for a while, and they are great, quality is there, you can't deny it, though I don't want to pay a "mortgage" just for a box.

My budget is around $400, which after a lot of research, made me realize the only thing that will fit my wallet, and last long is the Harbor Freight 44". I read lots and lots of good reviews about em. 
I'm just wandering if I missed something in my search for a cheap and durable box.

Whatcha guys think?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2014 at 3:26PM
if it's the us general professional looking set up, i'm impressed with the quality of those, i bought the side box with all the drawers to hang on my matco double stack (all drawers) only problem is it's red and my matco is blue, just add it to the list of things to paint (someday Confused)

Edited by californiajohnny - 09-July-2014 at 6:02PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2014 at 3:42PM
A few of my coworkers and I have the masterforce boxes from Menards. Only have good things to say.

I have also heard good things about the HF boxes. Will look at them for my second set.
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2014 at 6:56PM
I have that same Harbor Freight box, and am very pleased with it. I bought it to consolidate 2 toolboxes into one. I bought the top, bottom, and side box with drawers (not the locker). Needless to say, I need to buy another side cab. For the money, they're very nice boxes. Not Snap On, but definitely a good deal. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2014 at 7:04PM
The wide drawer on the bottom box, holds all my sockets. Glides nice, with no issues. 

77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 12:02PM
get on the tool truck & see what he's taken in on trade

I got a mongo top & bottom Waterloo set on sale at some industrial joint

there's the old Waterloo with a 73 trunk flipper hahaha

72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 12:57PM
I've got an OLD Kennedy box (upper and lower) and a Craftsman (upper and lower).
 Many of the toolboxes you see are made by the same company. Check it out at Harbor Freight, and if their display model is already broken, well, keep lookin'. Half the display items at our local Harbor are "stress-tested" in-store.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 1:10PM
Holy sh*t, that's a lot of socket. You definitely beat me there lol.
I'm gonna go tomorrow and see if it fits in the Jeep. I got to get a box before the end of the week for work.

Originally posted by mlachance112785 mlachance112785 wrote:

The wide drawer on the bottom box, holds all my sockets. Glides nice, with no issues. 

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 1:17PM
Originally posted by mlachance112785 mlachance112785 wrote:

That's just a little OCD-neat. I want to mix up your sockets Tongue
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 1:42PM
yep,OCD, looks like there's one missing!Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 2:58PM
Those sockets are awfully clean?LOL
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 3:56PM
You should see mine lol, they get cleaned up after each use (at the end of the day).
I love keeping my stuff organized, makes it really quick to find it.

I thought about getting foam and cut it to the drawer size then cut holes shaped to my tools, and  thought I'd do the sockets that way but those racks are really growing on me right now.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 5:12PM
my box is an el cheapo... and mine is a mess.  but it serves its function.  i took my wet saw down off the top shelf this weekend to give to my dad for ceramic tile installation and found a ratchet and my 1/2 deep well socket sitting on top of it.  been looking for those for 4 months.
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 5:55PM
LOLi know the feelingConfused i have like 4 of every thing, one for the bolt another for the nut and another pair for your buddy helping on the other side of the car which doubles as backup when you can't find the wrench you need, when i can't find any, then it's time to round up toolsShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 6:37PM
Heh. Ya, I'm missing a few. As for the OCD, I'm guilty. My tools get "washed up, and tucked into bed" as it has been said before. 

It's not all bad though, I know were everything is at all times. Nothing worse than someone borrowing a tool, and not returning it. 

FYI, the HF box comes with pre-cut drawer liners, and sheets of cut thin cardboard to label the drawers.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 9:08PM
My dad use to yell at me for losing his tools when I was only 10 12 years old. Turns out he was right.
73MONTEGO
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2014 at 1:26PM
72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 12:53PM
Never showed you what I bought last summer.

I got the 44" from HF, which was awesome, but I ran out of space rather quickly, and I still need to buy more and more tools. I just sold it to a friend and got the 72", which is so much better, and it is finally a real work bench, once I move all my engine parts LOL

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 12:57PM
oh, i saw it in one of your pics! but bigger is better Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 9:44AM
2 sets+ of tools in two tool boxes, The Craftsman box has the tools I use all the time, and the Kennedy has all the "pretty" tools (Untouched by human hands).
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply