The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sealed beam to LED upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealed beam to LED upgrade
    Posted: 05-April-2022 at 2:55PM
Joe, I converted my 4x6 sealed beams years ago to 4x6 glass housings from Autopal that uses H4 and H1 bulbs respectively. Last weekend I changed out the Xenon bulbs to LED's, the LED's are of decent quality and the light output is whiter/brighter, but the housings probably aren't optimal for the LED's light output. Haven't even driven my Ranchero at night yet, so I can't give driving impressions, but I believe I will be ordering "purpose built" LED headlights unless the drive shows me the lighting is better than just good. The biggest issue for me is paying about $1K for 4-4x6 headlights that give exceptional light output and pattern.   
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2022 at 12:10PM
Really, no one has converted their headlights to LEDs?? Geek

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2022 at 1:20AM
I'm interested in how that turns out. I like some late model lights, but many are too bright or project bright light in bad directions, plus color matters. I like the old traditional appearance and color in general.

One of the few things I did to my first car, 72 GT, was installing four Cibie headlights plus H1 and H4 bulbs. The alternator died immediately or was already bad. I had the 55a unit converted to 80a with a new stator etc. It took a relay to run the light, an back then high amp relays were not common. I bought a solenoid virtually like a normal starter solenoid, which worked well but now I know it was too big and unneeded.

The H1 and H4 bulbs used to be available in many wattage's. I used 100w in the high beam bulbs and at first something like 55w/60w in the low/highs. I forgot the details, but I do have the parts stored, plus some new bulbs(55/100's for example).

I hope the LED lights work out well for you, it has great potential for better light and longevity, plus preserving the wires from breaking from old age, brittleness, handling etc.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2022 at 11:05PM
With the Torino now in the bodyshop for her final bodywork and paint, I have started to wrap up some of the upgrades I want to perform as she goes back together. One of those upgrades are the headlights. I have now purchased the OEM glass lens 5 3/4" conversion bulb housings, H4 LED lamps, the H4 bulb ceramic connectors as well as a male connector that plugs into the factory harness headlight connector.

Originally my plan was to use the stock headlight circuit to just drive the headlight relay to change from low to high beam but the more I read about the LEDs, it seems they draw LESS current than the old school sealed beam headlights, so now I'm thinking just replace my sealed beams with the LED assemblies and fore go the headlight relay circuit idea.

Anyone else already made the upgrade to LEDs that can share their experience/method/problems?

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply