The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toploader help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toploader help
    Posted: 18-June-2015 at 9:31AM
so my transmission yoke got a nice gouge in it. I took the tail housing off and it seems like the speedometer drive gear is not attached properly maybe it lost a clip or something and that fell down and ate the end of the yoke. 

What I need to know is how is the speedometer drive gear held on the shaft? Right now all that is there is a single snap ring behind the gear but i can push the gear forward and it falls right out of where it sits. It looks like something else should hold it on. There is a circle hole under the gear but it has nothing in it. What am I missing? My drive gear looks chewed up a bit too so Ill have to order that as well.

Its a 4 speed toploader with the long tailhousing, its behind a 351c and it has a 31 spline output. I was told it might be from a big block?
SirDan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2015 at 1:30PM
Just an update incase anyone searches and finds this thread.

First off there is a ball and a snap ring that hold the speedometer gear to the mainshaft. 

I think this all happened because I put the wrong speedometer cable gear in the transmission. Switched from auto to manual and figured it was the same one. I think it jammed up the gears and the mainshaft spun on the gear enough that it wore and or expanded and the ball came out and found its way to the back of the transmission where it ruined the yoke.

Got new speedometer gears from summit racing and got seals and a bushing. CJ pony parts had the little ball for about 3 or 4 bucks but I figured with shipping it would be around 14 or so. Went down to my local hardware store and got a single ball bearing that fit in there for around .50 cents.

everything is working well now!
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2015 at 2:00PM
glad you got it fixed! sorry i don't know much about those trannys, only done a few gm's and my ford autos are machined into the shaft (which really sucked for changing the speedo gear ratio) Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply