The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Cross Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Cross Member
    Posted: 23-August-2010 at 6:13PM
Anybody know of a good aftermarket Transmission Cross Member that will fit a '72 GTS? I had to modify my stock one to allow for my 3" exhaust pipes to go straight back. I cut metal out, mounted my pipes and bolted up two heavy metal plates which added strength and a bunch of unwanted weight. I'd like to find and aluminum cross member that looks something like this that's strong and light weight.

Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 3:31AM
I will let you do the work with the information I can give. I was watching Gears over the weekend and Stacy mentioned Crossmembers.com I think that is the correct one. He showed a fox body Mustang crossmember that was made of solid aluminum and gave that site as a reference. It looks just like the one you have pictured. Hope this helps.

Jesse
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkGubinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 3:32AM

Ya, I've been thinking about that for a long time, Chris. Haven't found anything. I would love something lighter.

72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 5:54AM
Honestly guys, I think you are going to have to fabricate up something.
My thought would be to take 1/4" thick aluminum channel and plate, and then get a large diamter aluminum pipe with a similar wall thickness,and fab up a brace.

Same but different:
I had to fab up a bracket for my emergency/parking brake cable setup that moved my cable down a good inch to clear my exhaust because I tucked everything into the tunnel as best as I could, and the cable would of gone in the center if my 2.5" pipe.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 9:21AM
The headscratch-er for me is what header/engine combo does Chris have?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2010 at 6:19PM

My GTS has the 460/C6 combo and I just found out that the guy I work for is a certified aluminum welder. I'm going to get him to build me a custom crossmember next month and I'll post what it looks like. I'm hoping to shave off 15 lbs at least, I think the support plates I fabricated weigh that much by themselves.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 5:43AM

Like I have been told in the past when building a car:

Worry about the ounces, and the pounds will fall off...or soemthing like that.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 3:18PM
I'm helping my buddy do his landscaping job while he recovers from cancer surgery and so far I've dropped 15 lbs. I'm shooting for an 11.5 this year.   
 Post Reply Post Reply