The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Crossmember Retaining Nuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Crossmember Retaining Nuts
    Posted: 30-August-2018 at 10:07AM
Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the special nut used inside the frame rails to mount the automatic transmission's crossmember? I got one removed successfully for reuse, but the other twisted the bolt off when I tried to remove it. I may have to be creative about making one if no one has found a suitable alternative. I have checked other Ford reproduction parts suppliers and have not found one yet.

Thanks for any input on this subject.
Randy
Randy
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 10:36AM
if the nut and bracket are OK, tack / weld the nut to reinforce it to the bracket and weld another nut to the broken bolt to use a wrench to remove it. the welding heat should release the broken bolt. then chase the threads, lube with anti seize and you're back in business

might actually be easier to just make a new one though, 1" x 16ga strap bent to a U and weld it to a nut if you're not a Concourse restoration kinda guy

72 GT Ute

RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 10:56AM
Thanks. That scenario is my fallback plan if I can't find something that will work made by Ford or even other manufacturers.

It really is hidden for all practical purposes, so concurs isn't an issue as far as I am concerned. I have to pull this crossmember off to get the engine and transmission out, so I was hoping to find a good solution when I put it back together. Right now it just has a nut and washer tightened as best I could with a wrench I made to fit into the frame.
Randy
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 11:13AM
I found a supplier online, after an exhaustive search. Let me pull the invoice and get you the info. It was a perfect fit replacement.
Danno
Danno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 11:23AM
NOS PARTS LTD in Waxahachie Texas. Part # 384650S2 Nut-Bolt-Clip. Call for price. I got 2 for $14 each. They only had a few left in stock. 972-937-2201.
FYI, tech manual calls this “Ford Clip Nut.”
Danno
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 12:02PM
Both of mine broke when I removed them. I just used new hardware to make something way stronger than the weak OEM clips.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 30-August-2018 at 12:03PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 3:28PM
Fantastic responses and much appreciated,
Randy
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2018 at 4:42PM
damn vince, that's some pretty good looking welds!! Shocked i feel unworthy Embarrassed and i've been welding since i was 10!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2018 at 12:43PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

damn vince, that's some pretty good looking welds!! Shocked i feel unworthy Embarrassed and i've been welding since i was 10!!!
I wish I could take credit for the welds, but it was by brother-in-law.  He's a millwright by trade and can pretty much weld any type of metal.  He's a super talented guy.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2018 at 3:31PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

I wish I could take credit for the welds, but it was by brother-in-law.  He's a millwright by trade and can pretty much weld any type of metal.  He's a super talented guy.
ha i know the feeling, i was a millwright for many years as well as other things
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2018 at 10:25AM
Nice looking clips....what size is the bolt? Thx.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2018 at 12:32PM
They are 5/8s bolts, same size as the originals.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Restring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Restring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2018 at 1:13PM
Thank you for that quick response. Just what I needed to know. I didn't not have any of the fasteners for the cross member. Thank you.
RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 2:13AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this.
I just made my replacements last weekend. I bought a galvanized (not just plated) 1" x 1/8" right angle bracket at Menard's and cut it in two pieces to yield enough material to make the two needed. A cardboard template was made to fit in the frame original mounting including the front locator tabs. With hacksaw and grinder I shaped the metal parts finally hammering the 90 degree tabs into shape. Drilled out the hole to provide clearance for the bolt (make it big enough to clear the nut sufficiently). Welded on the nut as shown in Vince's post. You have to grind off the galvanizing and plating to make a good weld, then clean it all up for primer and paint. Maybe a lot of extra work on the tabs, but it looks like OE from the bottom.

Randy
Randy
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 4:09AM
I tried both of these designs and they both work great. Obviously putting the tab on the nut makes it look OEM.

changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 10:57AM
Ya know, if someone were to make some of these in their spare time, it'd sell, I think.  Nice little side income for an item obviously needed.

Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 11:01AM
Put me in for a pair.
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 3:07PM
HMMM.........Lamp
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2018 at 9:29AM
John volunteers! What a guy!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2018 at 2:45PM
 i can... i'd have to look into material costs etc. ...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2018 at 6:48AM
non-magnetic / non-rusting Stainless Steel FTW Thumbs Up

super simple production set-up, clamp a bolt into a vice threads up, place tab with through hole onto the bolt and thread down the nut. adjust bolt in the vice so no extra threads are able to catch spatter & foul the threads in the nut when you take it off. tack away!

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2018 at 12:08PM

I recently installed mine that I showed up above when I got my engine and trans installed.  They work really well, much stronger than OEM. 

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2018 at 7:23AM
My buddy's car, (Mark V that had the crossmember mounts burned off) has bolts dropped in from the top.
Because Beer kept us from thinking about a tab on a nut.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply