The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission question - C6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission question - C6
    Posted: 09-October-2015 at 5:05AM
My '74 Cougar is a tad bit slow going into gear (Drive) from Park. C6 transmission, 351 Cleveland. Not excessively slow (perhaps enough time to say "One One-thousand, Two One-thousand" after placing the shifter in Drive). Zero other issues, shifts firm, quickly (1-2 shift at below 10 mph, 2-3 shift at 15 mph under normal throttle), normal firm shift speeds (35 and 50) under heavy throttle. Reverse takes immediately. Never slipping, fluid is clear red, no other problems. Is this normal, just a little age, or a forebode of things to come? It has done it since I've owned it and have put almost 4K miles on it. Have not changed the fluid and filter since I've owned it. The shifter itself needs bushings and the adjustment is off a bit on the indicator (Drive is showing as Neutral). Just curious if it is something to worry about, since the car is just spectacular to drive and I do enjoy driving it about every day. Thanks.

Edited by unlovedford - 09-October-2015 at 5:07AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2015 at 5:49AM
Joe,
 Could be the lip seals inside the trans, as the trans ages those lip seals aren't as pliable as when new. Does it do this when cold only? If it does it all the time, could also be that the trans has been rebuilt/worked on (or it possibly left the factory that way) and they installed the low/reverse clutch piston upside down, having the check ball at the 6 o'clock position( allows the fluid to drain back while sitting for a while). Here's a  pic that shows the detent in the piston where the check ball resides (lower off-center hole in the pic)

Really doesn't hurt anything but does cause a certain amount of delay that most don't notice. Could be a few scenarios, hardened seals if it usually does it when the trans is cold, check-ball in the lower position if it does it after extended sitting but trans is still warm or a combo of both hardened seals and check-ball. If I was a betting man I would say lip seal issue. Sounds like it works too good otherwise to open it up just yet. Good luck.

Edited by aquartlow - 09-October-2015 at 5:51AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2015 at 6:41AM
Thanks Todd. It never differs, hot, warm, cold, sitting for 1 minute or 1 week (when I am out of town). Always has that 2 second lapse engaging Drive. Probably not worry about it, but will swap out the shifter bushings, although I am so used to it now, it'll feel like a different car when I do.

Looking forward to finally meeting you in a couple of weeks!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2015 at 7:05AM
Joe,
  Same here, can't wait to meet up!
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2015 at 2:09PM
Readjust your shifter linkage. FMX transmissions get finky about being a little out of gear. Maybe C6 don't like it either.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply