The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vacuum leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vacuum leak
    Posted: 25-August-2020 at 5:05PM
Hi to all, just a quick question; would a rough idle cause irratic vacuum or would a vacuum leak cause a rough idle. ???? Any suggestions on how to narrow this down. I just changed my water pump and I seem to have created a rough idle condition which also shows up as a jumping vacuum reading on the manifold attached gauge. Thanks !!
Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2020 at 5:08PM
I should also mention I replaced the thermostat.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2020 at 2:00PM
Did you connect all of your vacuum hoses back up after the water pump change?  A lot of the water pumps had a thermal-vacuum switch on them for various vacuum controls.  From your symptoms it sounds like a vacuum leak.  They typically can cause a rough idle.  You can also use the tried and true carb cleaner diagnosis, where you spray carb cleaner around the vacuum connections. If the engine speed increases, you have found the area of the leak. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-August-2020 at 5:00PM
Cured the problem, it was a vacuum leak. Used the spray method as suggested. Thanks.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2020 at 9:48AM
I am glad you got it figured out. How is your car coming along?  We'd love to hear an update on the car and engine build.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply