The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

valve covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: valve covers
    Posted: 06-July-2022 at 4:38AM
Can't get covers off,have beat then tried prying on the edges. Someone put them on with blue rtv. will heat work.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2022 at 4:59AM
Pry along the top edge of the VC's, usually there's a place where you can put a large screw driver or pry bar between the intake manifold and the VC. It might take a small spacer too, to make a small gap to pry between. With the right leverage and placement, the VC should come off.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2022 at 7:50AM
I have seen some success breaking down RTV with liberal applications of PB blaster. A few doses of that and a day of setting might help the silicone loose it's grip so you can pry off the covers.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2022 at 10:47AM
I'd just try like Don says.  Hammer in a sharp screw driver and slowly pry it apart.  You will probably have to try at multiple spots to keep from destroying the VCs.  Work at it slowly and move around the perimeter and it should come off.  The PB blaster would be a good idea too and probably make the prying easier. I wouldn't try heat.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2022 at 2:31PM
Just work on it around the upper side. If you happen to gauge the covers at all it's less trouble than if the bottom edge got damaged.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2022 at 2:26AM
These covers have a1/4 to3/8 lip no notches for gasket. It appears they used blue rtv.The lip is over the head.covers are either heavy al. or pot metal.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2022 at 2:43AM
The intakes usually have a couple of protrusions upward from the outer port area. Those are good places to place a screw driver, and pry up from those and under the VC lip next to them. It's normally a short period of time you look at the intake and find that spot, then you find an angle to put the screw driver to get a good angle and leverage to push down at.
Don
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2022 at 9:48AM
I painted a Blue Thunder intake to have a factory look back last fall and installed.  Looked great, except for the old paint on the valve covers so I pulled them to paint as well.  I really struggled with removing the valve covers.  Didn't remember it being so difficult.  I had my best luck removing it with a sturdy drywall joint knife.  After tapping in several places I felt the seal give.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2022 at 12:19PM
Originally posted by normand normand wrote:

I painted a Blue Thunder intake to have a factory look back last fall and installed.  Looked great, except for the old paint on the valve covers so I pulled them to paint as well.  I really struggled with removing the valve covers.  Didn't remember it being so difficult.  I had my best luck removing it with a sturdy drywall joint knife.  After tapping in several places I felt the seal give.

That works very well with cork gaskets, as you can drive the thin spreader or knife into it to help break the seal.
Don
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2022 at 12:57AM
Going to remove the air intake to get a better angle. Hope it comes off they used the same blue sealer.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2022 at 10:10AM
valve covers off. Well no roller rockers,only marks just like my rebuilt 9m23 great big t and a stamp looks like cp. So either someone changed motors or ford screwed someone.
 Post Reply Post Reply