The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Section > Cars for Sale/Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted : Silver Gran Torino, Black Vinyl Roof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted : Silver Gran Torino, Black Vinyl Roof
    Posted: 17-June-2022 at 11:00AM
I was talking to my Uncle the other day about my sister’s Gran Torino.  He said he had a Silver Gran Torino with vinyl roof years ago and always wanted to have one again.

Let me know if you have any leads that I can share with him.

Thanks!
-Chris

Chris Spriegel
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2022 at 6:03PM
  Vinyl roof kills the beast. Look for one without if you can as it will be in better shape. Unless you want a mint ride already restored in which case get ready to pay a lot.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 6:41AM
Mint.....as in ......"Wicked Pissah"?
Steve M.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 9:36AM
Originally posted by Steve M. Steve M. wrote:

Mint.....as in ......"Wicked Pissah"?

You know it   LOL
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 12:09PM
Thats...Wicked Pissah Mint!
Steve M.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 1:35PM
Is there a suitable top that can be put on that doesn't rust the roof like the stock ones all did?
Don
73 Ranchero Sport "72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V 3.70 gears for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 3:40PM
spray on bed liner. new vinyl roofs aren't crazy $$$ and last a good long time if taken care of. the problem is the cars that came with them coming up on 50 years ago, those vinyl roofs are shot and didn't get painted well underneath. the metal under them is worse than the shot to Censored vinyl roof that you see. original vinyl roof cars that aren't rusted to Censored underneath are few & far between these days but not nonexistent. to replicate a memory Gran Torino today you should be prepared to buy the best example you can find and factor in paint etc to make it match the memory

so tell us about this Gran Torino, year, 2 door, 4 door, Sedan, Coupe, Formal or SportsRoof, trim style etc ... budget?

Edited by Rockatansky - 18-June-2022 at 3:48PM
72 GT Ute

spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 4:54PM
Max,

I’ll talk to him and get some more details.  I think when he saw my sister’s Gran Torino, it was nostalgic and he said he always wanted to get one again.

I was not aware of the vinyl roof issues, do most people remove the vinyl roofs when they do full restores?

Thanks,
-Chris
Chris Spriegel
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2022 at 3:07AM
My first car was a 2dr Gran Torino, the color was Pewter, 351C-2V with the high option interior and nothing else. I don't have any of our old family pictures available yet, my parents things we haven't gone through completely yet. I want to see all of our old pics, we took that car to Germany for three years, and a trip to Italy for a few days. The car was so wide it couldn't go through a small portable car wash we found near Pisa. We might even have pictures of that, my parents tried to take plenty of pictures.
Don
73 Ranchero Sport "72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V 3.70 gears for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2022 at 12:17PM
Originally posted by spriegel spriegel wrote:

Max,

I’ll talk to him and get some more details.  I think when he saw my sister’s Gran Torino, it was nostalgic and he said he always wanted to get one again.

I was not aware of the vinyl roof issues, do most people remove the vinyl roofs when they do full restores?

Thanks,
-Chris

Most people removed during the restoration, but many also put a new vinyl top back on.  Like Rock said, the factory didn't finish very well under the vinyl roof, resulting in severe rust over time when exposed to the elements. This isn't exclusive to Torinos, lots of cars from this era have rust issues when equipped with vinyl roofs. If the roof is repaired and finished properly, and the car is well cared for like most restored cars, it should last a long time.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2022 at 12:36PM
Thank you, I checked with my uncle and he had a 1972 Ford Gran Torino in silver with a black vinyl roof.  If you ever come across one, I’ll let him know.

Thanks everyone,
-Chris

Chris Spriegel
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
 Post Reply Post Reply