The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weather stripping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 ltd II All green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weather stripping
    Posted: 29-December-2011 at 3:09PM
so i need belt line weather stripping for my dads 79 ltd ii and i found a 2 door lincoln continental in the junk yard today with good weather stripping and wanna know if anyone knows if itll work
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2012 at 6:54AM
I don't know about that particular model, but I found brand new ones on Ebay for my Ranchero for around 100 bucks.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2012 at 7:08AM
Ranchero stuff from a 77-79 will interchange.. It's all over ebay. There are two types.. with the wide top door molding and without

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
79 ltd II All green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 ltd II All green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2012 at 9:21AM
my dad bought the stuff thats supposed to be used with the chrome molding and the clips arent the same their a poor repo
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2012 at 11:32AM
Got a link? where did it come from? Class Tech Cars?
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 9:16AM
When I checked with a couple of sellers on ebay they told me ranchero would not work on ltd2 doors are different.I never checked myself took there word.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 9:17AM
Weird. I have a Ranchero door on my Cougar.

Must be different. Shocked
Paul
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 9:23AM
No the dist. probably was wrong.I just never went futher.If one is on your car they must be the same.Come spring maybe I will get a set as my doors rattle real bad.Do they sell the rubber stricker plat or what ever it is called.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 9:24AM
The little rubber spacer that goes over the striker bolt? Yes, HELP! has them. I've used them with great success. Seems every Ford I get has them missing.
Paul
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 9:30AM
Thanks will put info in my folder.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2012 at 9:47AM
They aren't different as far as the sheet metal goes, just the trim level. The Ranchero had at least three different levels of exterior door moulding trim. The 500, the Squire, the GT and sometimes the Brougham during the mid to late '70's. The window felts are of a different design depending on which sub-model and trim level of Ranchero you have. The doors of a '77-'79 T-bird, Cougar, Ltd II and a Ranchero will interchange sheetmetal wise, the window of the Ranchero is different from the others, as well as trim levels IE: mid door moulding, colored vinyl insert moulding, no moulding, thin bead window felt, no bead exterior window felt used with the wide upper door moulding and so on. I have power doors off of a '79 Ranchero 500 that has the wide moulding but the original non power doors removed from my '79 Ranchero 500 uses the thin chrome bead type of window felts with no upper door moulding, same model just a different trim level. Kind of like the interior door panel that goes on the 2 door hardtop of these various models, they will all physically interchange but some have the long armrests, some have the short armrests with the chrome base, some have a hole for the window crank others don't, it all depends on what trim level was ordered. I hope this helps. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
doc57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doc57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2012 at 3:19AM
I'm looking for the belt line wiper of weather strip for my LTD II S. I have the wide outer trim. There are 2 different ones available for the Ranchero. Will one of them work on my car? this is from the Class Tech site on e-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-1978-1979-RANCHERO-WINDOW-WEATHERSTRIP-4pc-NEW-/320771798937?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aaf7d3799

Edited by doc57 - 10-January-2012 at 3:22AM
1978 LTD II "S" sport touring The "Beast"
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2012 at 3:42AM
I have not ordered a new set as of yet. They(whoever sells them) cannot confirm if the clips that hold the weatherstrip to the door AND onto the molding are correct, The clips they show are not the same as the factory clips. See pic. I think the only reason they advertise that the weatherstrip will fit a LTDII, Ranchero, T-bird or Cougar with the "Top of door molding" is because it doesn't come with an exterior chrome bead on the weatherstrip, as the originals did not, but thats where the similarities start to skew. I don't know how hard it would be to remove the original clips and re-install them in the new weatherstrips, probably screw up both pieces with my luck. I guess if all else fails you could install the top molding to door, slide the weatherstrip/clips onto the door then pop rivet them to hold the molding/weatherstrip in the "field" between the two end screws. This sounds like a cluster-f&*^ and the rivets may hit the outside of the window, but another option hasn't presented itself as of yet. The exterior pieces are what makes the '77-79 years differ, whether it has the top molding or not. Repops, is the company that makes the weatherstrip from what I have read/understand. I would send them the original clips to install onto the new felts but they never even returned my e-mail with the offer. I hope you have better luck in your search I have been looking for a set for over 10 years, refusing to install something half-ass, at least to me anyhow. Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply