The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats needed to do this conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68torinogt302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats needed to do this conversion
    Posted: 19-June-2012 at 3:15AM
I have a 68 Torino GT and want to convert my power steering over to manual steering, what besides the manual gearbox will be needed to perform this
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2012 at 10:14AM
I'm not a great fan of power steering myself, though I need it on my Ranchero with the 466. Never heard of anyone going backwards, though I have heard of converting to rack-and-pinion. Call Summit.com, Jegs.com, they will most likely have what you need, or just wait for one of these other guys, they know EVERYthing, hehe.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
TDLMOMOWERS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDLMOMOWERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2012 at 10:47AM
Napa sells an adapter that goes on the end of the steering center link, and replaces the control valve and allows you to attach the adapter to the pitman arm. You then get rid of the control valve, the power cylinder, the hoses and the pump. The cars that had power steering on them from the factory had a 16 to 1 ratio steering gear, the ones without power steering had a 20 to 1 gear box, so it may not steer as easily as a car that did not have power steering from the factory. If you want, I can get you the part number for the adapter, as I work for NAPA in Mansfield, Ohio. The adapter is not cheap. I think that Auto Krafters has the adapter in their current catalog. You can call me if you like. My number is 419-566-0214.
 Post Reply Post Reply