The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the deal with carb cleaner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the deal with carb cleaner?
    Posted: 19-March-2011 at 7:53AM
Since I'll very likely be rebuilding my 2150 soon, I looked into getting carb cleaner. I finally found a big container at NAPA, and wow, is it expensive!! I'm wondering, what makes carb cleaner different from any other automotive parts cleaner? It is apparently extremely nasty stuff (the metal tin was even enclosed in a plastic bag with a warning!), but regular parts cleaners claim to remove grease, oil, etc. which would basically be like the varnish on a carb, no? Also, engine cleaners would need to be compatible with rubbers, nylon, etc. which are non-metals used in a carb. So, I'm confused what the difference is, or if I could use regular parts cleaner and save some dough... and an environmental catastrophy LOL!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 8:14AM
most grease & oil solvents won't touch carb varnish

similar to this stuff if not the same in a NAPA can...
it's strong stuff, it'll eat the finish off if you soak long enough

1 gallon or 5?

20-some $ a gallon here, i had to buy 2 gals and a galvanized dip pail to fit a Holley main body under the liquid, the opening of the 1 gal can is ~just~ too small

Edited by Rockatansky - 19-March-2011 at 8:19AM
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2011 at 11:55PM

Could I use a few of the spray can carb cleaners, and just empty them into a pail? It'd certainly be cheaper than full-blown liquid gallons of the other stuff. Also, what do you rinse it off with when you're done, or do you just let the parts air dry and evaporate off?

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 12:25AM
I've had good luck with lacquer thinner, but it's almost 20 bucks a gallon too. If you do use it, make sure any brushes you use have bristles that won't melt in the thinner, otherwise you'll have even more of a mess. 
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 12:30AM
That's better than the $57/gallon NAPA wants for actual carb cleaner! That, and I use lacquer thinner on a daily basis with my models, so I'm very familiar with it. Thanks for the suggestion!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 6:07AM
Even the spray-can carb cleaners are very strong. This guy I was working for last fall had some old cooking oil stuck on the floor of his basement. He says "Here, use this to clean it off for me." It was a spray can of carb cleaner. After sitting for less than 30 seconds, it not only took up the cooking oil, but also the old gray paint on the floor, right down to the bare concrete. 
David
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2011 at 6:51AM
I think if you compare the ingredients in some carb cleaners to those in lacquer thinner, they're very similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply