The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's worth saving...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter.jenerette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's worth saving...
    Posted: 14-February-2024 at 2:58AM
I recently purchased a [rusty] 79 Cougar XR7 351W (4bbl) to grab some parts for my 72 Gran Torino; mostly grabbing misc. bits. So far here is what I plan on grabbing, question is: "Are there any bits that I  should pull before sending this to become a beer can?" [I should also state that effort required to remove a part directly correlates to my desire to remove it]
  • Front seats and console.
  • Hurst ProMatic automatic shifter (will be sold).
  • Radiator, fan shroud.
  • AC system (all except the heater/ac box)
  • Wiper linkages.
  • Cluster, facia, harness
  • Alternator with harness
  • Misc kick panels and compatible trim pieces, speaker grills.
  • Radio, Switches, and misc electrical.
I will probably sell off the engine and trans as it seems healthy, but in dire need of seals and gaskets.
Specs: 351W aftermarket 4 barrel intake with elderbrock carb. FMX, data plate indicates FMX and 2.75 Open. 
The baby moons are crazy wide, I'm not sure if they will stay on the car or go. (I don't need or want them)

Pete Jenerette
1972 Gran Torino (H-Code, 4 speed [Converted])
2023 F250 XLT 7.3
2003 Thunderbird
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 4:36AM
What’s your location?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 5:51AM
Get the steering column and anything related to the floor shifter, brackets etc. Most interior parts are usable in almost all 1972-79 compatible chassis.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
peter.jenerette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter.jenerette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 6:03AM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Get the steering column and anything related to the floor shifter, brackets etc. Most interior parts are usable in almost all 1972-79 compatible chassis.

Its a column shift converted to a floor, so, I've (to this point) opted to leave it behind, unless for some reason i want to pursue the cruise control, which seems to be intact.
Pete Jenerette
2023 F250 XLT 7.3
2003 Thunderbird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter.jenerette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 6:05AM
DFW area of Texas.
Pete Jenerette
2023 F250 XLT 7.3
2003 Thunderbird
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 6:37AM
The CC you could use if you want to change the wheel and the wiring to it, then it's the other CC parts and wiring under hood.

Choose your steering wheel for what you like, there are so many choices it's tough to decide sometimes. I wanted a later model from a late 80's Ford Bronco etc, and I'm not sure I will love it in my car.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter.jenerette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 7:19AM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

The CC you could use if you want to change the wheel and the wiring to it, then it's the other CC parts and wiring under hood.

Choose your steering wheel for what you like, there are so many choices it's tough to decide sometimes. I wanted a later model from a late 80's Ford Bronco etc, and I'm not sure I will love it in my car.

Thinking about it, doubt I'll do the CC, since i am converting to 4 speed, as far as the steering wheel goes, the original basic that was on the car is in excellent shape, and i have a restorable rim blow sitting out there as well. 
If i pull those parts, it will probably only be because they are made of unobtainium, and there is someone who has something to trade that i need for my car.

Pete Jenerette
2023 F250 XLT 7.3
2003 Thunderbird
Dino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 1:04PM
CC would be nice on my Gran Torino. Does it have Automatic Temperature Control? I could use those parts to convert my manual A/C. Seats seem nice 
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2024 at 5:38PM
Sway bars come to mind. 
9" housing. 
Spindles would be a good upgrade for the 72-73 small bearing cars. 

HVAC, swap out the wiring harness for the fan, and blower motor resistor. I know they revised the 77-79 intermediates as the dash god changed a small amount, and the HVAC dash box changed as well. 

Wiring harness off the dash & body
Dash shell is worth saving

If the floor pan isn't total Swiss cheese, may be worth cutting out and saving. 

Frame: rear lower control arm frame pocket sections. 
Rear control arms upper and lower.

Front suspension strut rods.

on Facebook, there is a group I am in for 77-79 birds/cougars and maybe someone would buy the remainder of the car after you strip. 

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply