The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel options????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel options????
    Posted: 27-January-2024 at 3:00AM
So I do remember a while back seeing people run the Ranger/Explorer 2nd Gen wheels on the Torino’s.  Are there any other options for factory steel wheels like Dodge or any other Domestic models? Or better yet, has anyone use the steel wheels from wheel manufactures to go up in rim diameter? 

Thanks guys 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2024 at 10:55AM
watch out for late model Mopar wheels using 5-115mm lug circle, i think this might be the answer to a recent wheel question but i digress. old school Mopar and AMC wheels with the 5-4.5" lug circle fit with an appropriate wheel offset and center register bore. there's more to fitting wheels than just the lug circle diameter. me personally i have a set of 15" Mopar cop rally's and baby moon lug covers that i'm anxious to see on my 72 Ute. what size wheels do you have now? FYI if you have the original wagon wheels they may be wider than typical coupe / sedan wheels and would be desirable to some. my Holy Grail steelies are 15x8 Dodge Ramcharger / Plymouth Trail Duster if you can believe that

72 GT Ute

shanewherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2024 at 4:09PM
The wheels I have are the 14” steel wheels. The tire size they need I can’t get in Canada. I can only get trailer tires. 

I figured I would swap to a 15” steel rim and the only one close is the Ranger wheels. I did find that crown vic wheels are also the same but the offset is way to wrong. 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2024 at 5:24PM
Crown Vic 2002 and earlier are similar to our old school offsets, 2003 came out with the high offset wheels
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 3:50AM
The Ford OEM wheels of later models in the late 80's to early 2000's are all close, but the offsets vary a little among them. The bolt patterns and center bores should all match, which is why you read of Rangers, Crown Vic, Explorer, and others being okay.

I have Mark VII wheels since owning five over the years, plus lots of Explorer wheels, one set of late 90's Crown Vic wheels, and Mustang types.

The wheels were around 7" wide in most older models, but the Mustang stuff became 8" wide with the Cobra, and then 9" in the late 90's. So you have to carefully watch the widths and offset.

The popular 90's Crown Vic wheels have more offset then all Mark VII's, those will rub on the calipers of a Lincoln typically. But that's again variances that happened in the late 80's and then into the 90's.

I'm hoping to use 1998 Mustang GT wheels on my Ranchero, the split five spoke style. They are 17x8", but offset is about 30mm, whereas OEM 70's Ford has near zero offset on those 6-8" wheels. So it's a little tricky to figure out the actual fit on older cars. You have to do the math on the changing widths and offsets.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 4:01AM
For the 14" wheels, you should be able to get BFGs or Coopers that in 14", mind you not likely the original tire size on your wagon.  What tires are on it now?  I might be able to find something that will work.

Otherwise, there are also lots of aftermarket options that will fit your car.  Wheel Vintiques, Cragar and others will make wheels that will fit your car. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 4:08AM
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 4:10AM
I found a set of these from a mustang/falcon from 60/70’s. I gave him measurement to see if these will fit. 

The tires on the wagon right now are P205/75R14. When I look up what they should have it says P215/75R14. 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 4:42AM
The Mag wheels you posted have really small tires, too small for your wagon.  They are only 24.2" tall, which are tiny.  A 215/75R-14 is about 26.7" tall, the 205/75R-14s you have on there now are only 26.1" tall. Those Mag wheels don't show the bolt pattern or center hole size either.

BFG and Cooper make a 225/70R14 that is pretty close to your original size, with a diameter of 26.4".  They are getting tougher to find these tires in Canada, but shop around.  CTC carries both brands, but size may limit the availability.  1010 tire, which is Canadian, shows both are available.

That same site shows some 215/75R-14 tires are still available.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 6:14AM
I have Mopar 15" steel wheels on my wagon. Three of them were on the car when I got it, and I got the 4th at a junkyard in town (but the offset is a little different, I think). I found the wagon came with an H70-14 tires originally, so the closest tire size in a 15 to get the right diameter is P225/70R15. I put a set of Cooper Cobras in that size on, and my speedometer seems to be relatively accurate.

The fourth wheel on the car when I got it was a 14. I was able to find a Hankook with a 2019 manufacture date (in 2021) in a kind of close diameter at the junkyard to fit it for a spare tire.

I'd love to find a set of 15" slotted mags for it, but I don't want to pay the new price, and all the used ones I find are 14", or have a Chevy bolt pattern, or are unilug (which I hear is hard to get centered well enough to be smooth on the highway), and if I do find the right one, it's either just one wheel or just three (and slightly different than the individual wheel in another listing). So for now, I'll just stick with the mean look I get with black steelies with chrome lug nuts.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply