Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Ford 400s don't Suck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Ford 400s don't Suck
    Posted: 07-January-2024 at 3:55PM
The 400 Ford is constantly berated and talked down to by many in the car world.  Those of us in the know, realize that despite its low stock output, it is a torque monster that has a ton of potential.

As someone who has driven a 400 Ford since from the time I got a licence to now, I always though it was unfair. My mildly built 400 is a very strong motor that pulls my heavy Torino with authority.  It's just a plain fun engine with lots of power.   I always kind of thought that since our Torinos also get put down the Torino with a 400 was a good combo and both are way better than the many so called experts believe.

Richard Holdener did a couple of 400 videos which I thought I'd post here which shows the potential of the 400.  In the 400 build video he shows that even the addtion of just a 4bbl intake and carb makes a big power difference.  When my 400 was stock, I noticed a significant increase in top end power much like his results show.   In the comparison to the much loved 5.0L EFI engine, it shows how even a stock 400 (with flat-tops like a 1971 motor) has similar hp but much more torque.  Clearly the 400 is the better choice for a heavy vehicle.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply