The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z Bar Clutch Linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z Bar Clutch Linkage
    Posted: 30-December-2010 at 9:37PM
Guys, does anyone have some photos or diagrams of the Torino Z bar clutch linkage for the toploader? I took mine out of the car a year ago and should have taken pictures. I'm not 100% certain this is going to work with the BB motor, but it should since the transmission is the same and is located in the same place.

Anything you have or are willing to take a picture of would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Ron
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 3:53AM

Here is a scanned copy of the Ford parts manual.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you would like me to email you a copy.

Thanks, Mike H.
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 10:27AM
 i forget your build and no replies on questions ,but if your going 351-m 400 or 385 series 429-460 the 351 -c bracket will work at bellhousing if you ever so slightly oval 1 hole . which hole you oval is important for alignment . you may also want to try a 65 mustang fork bracket with the extra spacer because on the 72-73 the pedal snaps to the floor when you use a diaphram clutch .i have not yet tried this bracket ,it's cheap and should work . the other alternative is a pedal stop.
michigan
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 12:09PM
Originally posted by stuck stuck wrote:

you may also want to try a 65 mustang fork bracket with the extra spacer because on the 72-73 the pedal snaps to the floor when you use a diaphram clutch .i have not yet tried this bracket ,it's cheap and should work . the other alternative is a pedal stop.

That's a good piece of information. I am considering going with a diaphram clutch.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 2:53PM
Hey, thanks for posting that. Can you email it to me, that would be fantastic.  My email is on my profile I'm pretty sure.

I'm doing a 460 conversion from a 351C setup, so, I need to oval the holes on the bracket that attach to the bellhousing?  Have any idea which one?  I should be putting the motor in the car tomorrow or Sunday and hope to be able to see what is going on.
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 5:32AM
 sorry i cant remember which hole. when the bell is on it will take a second to mock it up holding the bell bracket in place and see which hole needs the slight oval so your z bar is not at a angle . if you screw up which i doubt bell brackets are available . also the ball stud on those bracket are pressed on and come loose put a bead of weld on the back . heres a pic of our bracket vs a 385 series bell pattern truck bracket " border="">  having trouble posting pic
michigan
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 5:40AM
while your in there there is a sealed bearing repair upgrade for the clutch pedal hinge pin im in a hurry now and cant pull the link it's meant for mustang but should work on ours . i'm in trouble ,but here you go http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html
michigan
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 2:59PM
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2011 at 3:35AM
^ small block
michigan
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2011 at 5:58AM
Hey Pete- where did you get that boot? That reminds me I need to replace my boot on my car.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2011 at 6:32AM
the boot is a repro, bought it at the Columbus all ford show.  i have the part number somewhere, i'll get it.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2011 at 1:49PM
boot part number c5az-7513-a
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Post Reply Post Reply