The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zebra 3 in rehab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zebra 3 in rehab
    Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:28AM
   I want to first thank Ralph for informing me about this website...Thanks man! You're like a one man assembly line..the car is looking fantastic!! I'd like to share my car's story with everyone and to bounce off questions and parts hunting in the hopes of getting my car back on the road (more on that later)...
  This forum is great! Me being "somewhat" knowledgable at car repair, its reasuring to have nice great guys out there ready to lend a helping hand to help keep these great cars on the road.... 
   Like alot of S&H owners out there, this for me was one of the cars that you wanted to have growing up but could'nt afford or your parents wouldnt let you get anyway because you would probably kill yourself screwing around acting like you were the real Starsky or something..LOL....Now 30 yrs later I'm going to make it a reality.. not get myself killed of course... but to have one of these cars...
   Anyhow...I picked up this Limited Edition S&H unit in the fall of 2007. It is production #559 out of the 1000. (thanks Ralph for the tip, I wondered what those numbers under the hood insulation stood for. I knew what the ps-122 and 2B were but not the #559) I am the third owner..
  The car spent most of its life in Colorado and Oregon so it was very solid..The second owner purchased it back in 2001 and drove it across the country through two snow storms back to Wisconsin. The car had the original paint and the trany and original 351W had been recently rebuilt. He had the body media blasted and repainted, had the carb rebuilt and added the slotted rims and new tires....then it was time for cruise'n and car shows....Clap
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:32AM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:39AM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 9:40AM
Hmmmmm, I wish the pics were the same size, they are from different sources and sizes and have to manipulate them for the posts...still trying to get the hang of it.....
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 12:47PM
Hey Gary,how's the car coming?You making any progress on her?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 4:58PM
Hey Ralph, how ya doin?...they just finished the paint a few weeks ago, looks great..The interior is still gutted and that will be where I'll start when it gets back home..I'm probably going to leave it at the shop for a few months now (free storage anyway) to avoid trailering back 4hrs in the dirty snow and salt slop..unless I find an enclosed trailer to use...but if I did bring it back now I'd have to park my car outside (or the wifes but dont think she'd go for that) and that would suck, we have had record snowfall and below zero temps here so far this winter...I've got alot of pics of the car thoughout the process and I'll get those posted as soon as I can....I have to resize each one when I try and attach it so it isnt too big or distorted looking....

Later..
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 5:40PM
Then in the fall of 2005, while heading to a car show....WHAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!....he got hit
by a 16yr old who ran a stop sign.......

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 5:46PM
to make it worse, the impact spun him around and he hit a pole on the driver's side....                                

TomiTomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomiTomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:07PM
I just wondered seeing the first pics, why you have to have in rehab this car. But now my heart is bleeding. Cry

Tomi
Tomi
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:10PM

It was decided to replace the whole rear clip including the roof. It was brought to a body shop where it sat for 2 yrs..the only thing done was the that the clip was replaced and put into primer...then it was learned the body shop was going bankrupt so the owner ran over with a trailer to get his car...well...most of it... back before the banks and lawyers stepped in. When he arrived there was no sign of the dash (with vin plate) rear bumper, or fuel tank....he grabbed what he could find, threw it inside the gutted interior and took it home. In the meantime, he was getting a hard time from the insurance company and learned he had only insured the car for the blue book value and not the "agreed upon" value of a collector car...After all the insurance and body shop headaches, he decided to cut his losses and put it up on ebay which were I found it..I drove down and trailered it home and this is what it looked like.........then came the task of trying to convince my father-in-law to come out of retirement after selling his body shop, and help me finish putting this baby back together...

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:10PM
DAMN!
I was paging down...then I saw that quarter panel carnage.

I can only hope that the insurance company did not screw you over any?

Dude...I will say I hope you were ok...but I sware if that happened to my '72 GTS...I don't know exactly how I would react...CryAngryShocked

Andy
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2009 at 6:27PM
Fortunately the previous owner wasnt hurt but suffered a broken heart to say the least..and it only went from bad to worse as I mentioned...good thing this car is built like a tank because the frame was fine....here's a pic of the original/rebuilt engine too...
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2009 at 3:12PM
Sounds awesome,all the paint is done!At least you got the car with all the tough work done.I've seen you guys up there have gotten tons of snow and cold.I'd leave it there too if its free storage for a while.I'm sure you'll be jumping on it when spring comes!Post more pics as you get them.
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:41PM

Well I was able to talk my father-in-law into coming out of retirement for awhile. The shops new owner (his cousin) agreed to help with the project and my car would be a filler project for when they didnt have other repair jobs at the moment. I told them that was fine and I wasnt in a hurry to get it back..(liar).. but I wanted it done right too....So I trailered it to his town which is a 4 hr drive and they started working on it. The floor and truck had some very small pin holes which they patched up. The only draw back to the rear clip was that it came from a car with opera windows in it..Oh well, too late now...but they had to redo what the old body shop had done..not very good work....It didnt take long however for my father-in-law to realize he was 69yrs old and hasnt done any body work for over 10yrs. I heard "my aching back" and "my bad shoulder" I told him to go easy on himself but he realized he should leave most of the work to the current owner..so that took awhile longer.....   

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:43PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:44PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2009 at 7:48PM
Then we decided to take the whole thing down to bare metal and start over...so off came the grill, hood, doors, and outer fenders..then of course when the fenders came off "You might as well pull the inner fenders too and paint those....right...I felt my pockets draining fast..$$....
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 2:11PM
Oh yes the pockets drain fast on one of these resto's!!!
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 5:43PM
doors, hood and fenders removed. The inner fenders were eventually removed as well. It was nice to hear they were nice and solid. Ive seen those are a favorite spot for rot    
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 5:48PM

fenders and doors in red. Only the inside of the jams were finish at this point, ready to bolt back on...I was alittle worried when I first saw them, thought the red was way off but I was assured it was the 2B and that it would look quite different once the finish coats and clear are on

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2009 at 5:57PM
My car was also one of the few S&H's that originally had a white interior with maroon dash..Since the original dash disappeared from the previous body shop, it helped make the decision to switch the whole thing over to a black interior anyway I found that the switches were pretty stiff and there was alot of sand type material inside the dash area..probably remmants from the media blasting on the first paint jog..the first thing I will do when the car is back is to tear the whole thing out and clean it up. Probably replace the heater core at the same time too so I dont have to worry about that later on..
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2009 at 12:42PM
Looking good!When I first went and looked at my car when just the inside was 2B red,I wasn't sure either about it.Then he did the trunk lid,finish cleared and buffed and it looked perfect!Wait till it's cleared and buffed,you'll flip out!!Smile
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:16PM
Ya, when I saw the finished door jams and inside the fenders I was like.. WOW..couldnt wait to see the rest of it like that...here are some before and afters of the floors in the passenger compartment and trunk..
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:17PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:18PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:19PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:20PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:30PM
I made sure and put a piece of tape saying "DO NOT PAINT" by the production numbers under the hood, this and the metal firewall tag are the only things left to prove its identity since the original dash/and VIN plate vanished and the door sticker was cut off with the old rear clip. I was lucky though that I have "2" build sheets, one in the driver's door is still completely intact, the one under the rear seat was starting to shred...
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:32PM
inner fenders painted and starting to collect dust.......
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 4:42PM

It looks like the floors and trunk were in really good shape.I know damn dust collects on everything if you don't wrap it up.You can have a new door jamb sticker made by martiauto works.I think it was like $25 and a report is like $40.They did mine and came out just like original.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>